View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Were it me, I'd turn the sides end for end. That way the grain follows the general shape of the guitar. Wide, straighter grain at the but, more curved as the depth converges and the curves are tighter.
hmmm interesting idea, so you mean by flipping it the 'wobble' in the grain moves up into the upper bout/cutaway area? not a bad suggestion, i'll definitely consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Great! Probably OK on the split; if you feel the need you can glue a couple tiny cleats in afterwards...

As to clamping, you shouldn't use too much force. A tiny bit of glue squeeze-out is where I stop. I also let the glue beads stiff up a little, then use a scraper to remove them, rather than a wet rag while the glue's still wet.
Actually that machine would have been perfect had the guy just used the weight of the clamps themselves as the pressure, they are pretty heavy and that was already starting to get some glue squeeze-out, but i literally couldn't stop him with that idea and he decided it needed so much pressure the whole board buckled.

If I can get there this afternoon i'll grab some pictures of the cracks/repair and see how its holding up after 24 hours.