View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all for the kind words! The top is indeed German and it is really a beautiful top. There is so much silking in it!

Woodstock was a phenomenal trip! I was able to spend some good time with wonderful friends and was able to meet many more.

I can't say enough great things about Stu and Wendy from Take a Stand. They have become great friends of ours and we were able to spend some good time with them. We drove straight to visit them on Friday. If you need a great Christmas present, they make the most beautiful guitar stands on the market. Contact them here: http://www.takeastandinc.com/

Saturday morning couldn't come quick enough. I drove into town and had breakfast with Mike Baranik, Michi Matsuda, Mario Beauregard, Antoine Dufour, and Jason Kostal! As one who eats, sleeps, breathes guitars, this was a wonderful way to start the day! Thanks to all those guys for putting up with me!

Since this thread is about the Kostal, lets get to that! Here is Jason giving me the guitar!

And Here is Antoine Dufour playing it! If I can only be able to play like that....

I just have to say that this is my 6th commissioned guitar and my second one from Jason. Each time you commission a guitar, you are afraid and think, what if it doesn't meet my expectations. I played two of Jason's guitars from Memphis and they were both great, but I had a fear in the back of my mind thinking, can he keep building them this good?

My first Kostal was asked to be very haunting with a cavernous bass. That's why I went with the Modified Dread. Along my journey, I played a few very nice world class instruments and one of them was a Jeff Traugott Model R. Many of you that have played some of Jeff's more recent work understand what they say when the guitar has super fatty trebles. I really wanted this in my new Kostal. I didn't want Jason to try to make me a Traugott, I wanted him to craft me a Kostal with some super thick trebles that were almost surgically sterile (in a good way). I wanted something that was different from my Modified Dread and something that would be real good behind a microphone. I don't have a ton of experience with recording, but sometimes with all the rosewoody overtones, the recordings can be a bit muffled (I think you know what I mean).

Lets just say that once again, Jason blew me away! This guitar is freakin ridiculous! You have seen the pics and you understand that this is a different guitar from the first. Instead of a crazy back, we get super straight grain (crazy in a different way)! Instead of light rosette, we get dark. Instead of big guitar, we go OM. Instead of crazy super bass, we get those fat, FAT trebles. I think this new guitar complements my first perfectly!

I really can't describe in words how mind blowing this new Kostal is. I'm going to give it a couple days and play until my fingers start to bleed. I recorded a few clips this morning and will share them as soon as I get them uploaded. My friend Jeff played it when I went to his place to record. Hopefully he will chime in soon about this guitar. Also, JR Rogers played it for a good time at woodstock as well and hopefully some words from him about it as well!

And Mau, as for a third....I have to save things for another thread, right?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

Last edited by ericcsong; 10-26-2015 at 04:04 PM.