View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, in Final Cut, the project file gets huge, and editing also seems to make the project grow. I'm not sure what all they're storing, but it helps to periodically clean up with the Delete Generated Files command. I have been working in 4K and I've seen projects grow to 1TB, only to go back down to a few hundred G after cleanup.

I work with an OWC 2TB Accelsior SSD to provide fast editing and rendering, but I can't have more than 2 projects typically at a time on that. Once I'm done and have released a video, I do the clean up, get rid of everything that isn't needed to recreate it, and move everything to a 8TB external - I have a bunch of traditional drives in a thunderbolt cage. Now and then I archive older stuff off to a removable archive drive and store it in the closet. I also sometimes decide I'd never need those projects again and just get rid of them. Ideally, I'd keep everything - I just had AG hit me up for video from interviews I did 10 years ago, but both the need for disk space and all the overhead of keeping track of old files makes me be a bit more blase about it.

I'm not sure if what I have is the same as what you're looking at Kev, since I have the Mac Pro, mine's an internal PCI gizmo, but it seems like the same idea, just via thunderbolt. But I will say that mine's really fast!. I forget exact numbers, but I seem to recall it was 3-4X the read and write speed of the Mac's own SSD, and the difference between it and a regular drive was astonishing. The SoftRaid can be a bit annoying (updates, sometimes paid, occasionally requires reboots..) but mostly it just works.