View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog64 View Post
So I'm now in the US with my new-to-me Baby Taylor and I absolutely love how light it is. The sound is OK but not as good as I'd hoped.
A friend of mine just lent me his Klōs carbon fiber travel guitar, so I've been playing it back to back with my Baby Taylor for an hour to try and pick a winner. Very difficult. I did a blind test with my wife, and she picked the Klōs on some songs and the Taylor on other songs. Generally, the Klōs usually won the fingerpicking and the Taylor won the strumming, but not always.
The Klōs is clearer but tinnier. The Taylor is warmer but muddier. I think the Klos feels a bit nicer to play.
But all in all, they've inspired me to try and take more weight off my Journey OF-660 guitar when I get back to Australia, because it sounds way, way better than either of these.
A couple questions and thoughts on weight reduction. Have you contacted Journey about the weight of the wood necks compared to carbon neck. Mahogany can be pretty light and I wonder if a wood neck is lighter then carbon fiber.

The body on my OF660 weighs 3lbs 1oz and the neck is 1lb 12oz. That’s my instrument of course, total weight being 4lbs 13oz. The locking tuners weight 200 grams a set, yup I removed one and weighed it. That’s a little over 7 ozs. I was ready to order the Heart Sound carbon fiber tuners at 47 grams a set (1.65oz). A week ago I tried to order, but out of stock. I tried to send a email but kept getting the reply “Message cannot be sent. Now I keeping getting “This site can’t be reached” when I click on the Google search. Not sure what’s going on with that company

I am going to look into Sperzel tuners, they are suppose to be light.