View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 02:09 PM

Tail pieces typically don't rest on the top, do they? I wouldn't be surprised if with a floating bridge, the tailpiece either has to be fixed in a very stiff way to the tailblock, or have sufficient mass to resist being driven by residual string energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLetson View Post
I'm not sure what the outcome of a project that marries nylon strings--even the Savarez 520P set with the wound G and B--to an existing archtop would be, but I would be braced for disappointment. Building an archtop with nylon strings as the central part of the design would be something else altogether, though.
Aquila make strings that have a higher tension and probably better sound than those Savarez and if more clarity is required there are the steel string sets for classical made by Thomastik. Anyway, the guitar is itself braced for, well, not sure what (single brace that's come loose over about 1/3 of its length in total). The neck is warped due to having been stored under tension in bad conditions, so the action is about right for nylon strings (and I get a reasonable range up the fretboard before the warp effects kick in). Bringing the action back down to playable with steel strings of appropriate tension (for me) would require a neck reset. In short, it's probably either making the best with high tension classical strings, or spend way more money than the instrument is worth (even in terms of sentimental value). This question was not just about this instrument though.

As to dedicated designs: Slaman's The Dome is something else indeed. IIRC it exists with a floating bridge but also with a fixed pin bridge which presumable drives the top in a very different fashion.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)