View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
there's not a lot of mystery as to whom you are referring. has this artist gone by two different names during his career? and the stuff on the room is correct. in the early '90s, i was lucky enough to record some solo acoustic/vocal tracks at one of the last of the great studios in north hollywood. my buddy was an ae there, and he was allowed to use it after midnight, if nobody was tracking. yes, they had a closet full of the best mics in the world, and all the fixin's (mic pres,etc), but even throwing a 57 in front of the guitar (taylor 710 at that time) produced some sublime sounds.

i think we finally decided on an old akg c12 for the guitar mic, but like i said, anything would have sounded great. it was quite humbling. of course, i lost the old ampex 2" tape somewhere along my divorce a couple years alter, and we were mixing down to vhs tape. shoestring, late night budget...these were just demos i was trying to use at the time. i will never forget how good those tracks sounded, though.
Yes that guy Not to mention his guitar player also had a really nice little place in Bloomington as well.

I try with some gusto to sell two general ideas here when it comes to "rooms". That based on the very fortunate fact that I've had the inspiring experience to hear some of these fantastic yet dodo bird rooms first hand.

The first is the broad brush stroke that a great tuned and musical room to record in trumps every spec, pre-amp, converter, DAW and microphone in existence. The second is the more difficult idea that tuning a room is much, much more than buying auralex and slapping it on the wall and in the corners. In truth the only real "starting point" is first identifying the actual problems in a very specific way. Auralex (or insert your preference of treatment here) is not a self adjusting product. Assuming its mere presence solves problems is probably not a good idea. Conceivably it could create more problems than it solves.

That said I'm also certainly painfully aware that going down that road takes an enormous investment in education, trial and error, time and worst of all money. There simply has to be some kind of sizable compromise that most of us must make in the journey unless there's a spare bucket of money laying around. It's an unfortunate reality. Compromise is ok but compromising with out actually identifying the problem is a tad gooney.

For those that have a dedicated space I'd submit the idea of room treatment might be a process of identifying the problems first and foremost then setting about a methodical process of addressing those problems when finances allow.

My two cents and YMMV.