Thread: aer/3 and pa
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
looks like i should bite the bullet and get another mixer with effects.
what mixer do you recommend?

i'm not very savy with the electronics so its all a learning experience and i want to maximize the equipment.

my buddy teaches guitar and has concerts with his students. we need the setup for sometimes at least 3 guitars and three vocals. i do have the redeye twin so 2 guitars can go through it. thanks for info.
I'm a really big fan of the Allen & Heath Zed series. They're easy to operate, sound great, and are relatively inexpensive. If you're running three vocals and three guitars, you'll need at least 6 XLR channels, mainly because of the preamps.

The XLR/preamp channels will give you more input gain and more EQ (Low/Sweepable Mids/High vs just Low/High) options.

I'd recommend the Zed 16FX. It has 10XLR channels and three stereo pairs. The stereo pairs don't have preamps, and only have two band EQ. They're nice for Keyboards and MP3 players, but you're not going to get a ton of gain out of them.

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-16fx/

If you can find a Zed60 14FX, that will work too. I own one and love it. I use it for trio work and running open mics. The Zed series has mid sweeps on all of the XLR channels which are very helpful when mixing.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SAAEgJJ_PD_BwE

Going even smaller, the Zed 12FX would work, but you'd be maxed out on the 6 XLR channels. It's always nice to have more XLR/Pre's than you think you'll need. Trust me!

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-12fx/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
now i'm using the 402vlz into channel 2 of aer and line out to qsc 10s.
the problem is i'm limited to 2 vocals with effects from the aer.

with another mixer don't i still have to go through the aer to have guitars and vocals going through aer and the qsc's?

i'm not very savy with the electronics so its all a learning experience and i want to maximize the equipment.
You seem to really like the effects on the AER. I feel like that's complicating things for you. You seem to be trying to use the AER as a mixer, but you're running a mixer into the AER first to use the effects from the AER? Please corret me if I'm wrong...

What I would do personally, is get at LEAST the Zed60 14FX. It will give you 8 XLR/Pre Channels. If you can afford the Zed16FX, get that because it will give you room to grow. You may not think you'll need more channels, but you can definitely benefit from having them down the road.

I'd run all of the vocals and instruments into the Zed16FX and use the Zed's onboard effects for them. I would run out of the left and right main outputs to the front of house speakers.

I would use the AER as a personal monitor off of the Aux send from the Zed mixer. You can also send FX to the monitor feed. It's probably odd to think about not using the effects from the AER at all, but that's what I'd do.

The Zed series effects are decent and they'll get the job done. You can always get outboard reverbs and delays if you really want to make your setup even more comlplex, but I think you'll be pretty happy with what comes on the board.

The Soundcraft mixers are nice too, but I'm not as familiar with the model numbers.

I also own and love a QSC Touchmix 16 for running open mics and small setups for bands. Tons of tweakability, the ability to save mixes and EQ's for different rooms that you might play frequently, and the option of either running things, at the board, from an iPad, or your phone.

You can look for used deals on mixers too.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-26-2018 at 12:06 AM.