View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 06:20 AM

Default Gretsch 2657T models

Yes, I know it's a GC hand crafted in Indonesia model = cheap.

In another thread, I posted a video of a similar bigsby model being strung without putting the strings under the roller? bar- I'm thinking about doing it that way the next time I change strings. I just wonder at the sound it will or won't make. The strings I just put on are Rotosound Purples (12-52's) and I do like the sound with the pick up switch in the up position- neck I believe? The other 2 positions are not impressive at ambient noise level in an apt. (which is coming a bit later in this post)- this is the 3rd time I've changed strings on it- I have acoustics I change strings on often as well. On this Gretsch they seem to me to be really short, comparatively speaking. Well, if I don't go under the roller? bar they will get to the tuners with a little more length- correct? But, will that adversely affect the sound? The video said no- but, videos can be skewed.
So, any feed back to my quandary?

Now, the rest of the story- the controls- bet y'all know where this is going, correct?

They are, uh, lacking- to say the least. Suggestions? and advice since I've never messed with electrics in an intimate way- as in, up close and personal, in tight quarters. And, the pick ups? I wonder why changing switch position seems to mute vs changing - any clues to that?

This said; A Rat Rod is in my future- should I just live with the 2657 as is, or soup it up? Will I render it (the 2657) junk if I screw up? I fear just pulling the knobs off - can I do it without scarring it up? It's a pretty sucker- I just pulled the protective tape off the pick guard and pick ups yesterday and I've had it since a week before Memorial Day

I'm anal about cosmetic finish