View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
One thing further on this guitar, is the compound curve of Mark’s cutaway. It is simply the most elegant I’ve seen—totally solves the issue of blending the curved heel to the side. Aesthetically, I never was able to get used to the little side “shelf” adjoining the heel in many cutaway acoustics. Mark’s approach is lovely and I would have expected it to become a lutherie standard. It must be quite a trick to achieve or it would be more widely used. But just beautiful!
Richard, I totally agree.
When Mark built my pinyon (Lil Pinny) years ago, we had discussed the cutaway design at length, but more the shape of it rather than how he would finish it. As I recall he came up with 3 versions, and this is the one we decided on. This is a pic of the back. I think it looks very similar to the one Bob posted earlier of his new guitar.

It's eerie, but what appears to be a little shelf as the back meets the neck is not at all. It's totally flat. But the effect is almost 3 dimensional. It's very hard to capture it on a photo! You would swear there is some contour there, but no.
I just thought that was super cool. Mark's a magician. Just the little subtle things you notice from time to time on a guitar of this caliber.
(Sorry Bob, I didn't mean to step on your Bristlecone thread, but I thought it was appropriate given Richard's posted observation on this design aspect of the cutaway).

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann