View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I remember with great specificity the sound and feel of my Martin D-28 that I played several hours per week for 17 years, I remember how it felt and played and sounded and resonated
I'm sure you THINK you do. And maybe you do.

But how do you demonstrate that to yourself?

Surely you can see the difference in what you state compared to your wife's ability to remember colors. She can actually COMPARE after the fact she's bought something to see if it's an exact match or not.

My guitars seem to change enough to me on a month to month basis (well, at least I *think* they do ) that I would be hard-pressed to "remember" exactly what a particular guitar sounded like. Sounds a bit contradictory (and I suppose it is at some level), but it's the way I feel. There's just no way to remember how my guitar sounds . . it changes too much!

The "ups and downs" (probably more like a sinusoid) of its sound, to me, completely mask any kind of possible up or down linear trend it might have. In other words, the "noise" swamps whatever signal there might be.

BTW, have you ever played one of Tim McKnight's Hollow Back guitars? At Healdsburg, my guitar will have that option, and I think a couple of others, too. The whole idea of that option is to let the inner back resonate more freely, so I'd think that the vibrations getting to the outer back would be diminished compared to a similar guitar without that option.