View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Smile Tom Doerr Modified Dreadnought Build Thread

I'm excited, I got on Tom's build list and he started building me another Doerr Mod D. I've owned several Doerr guitars over the years including two new ones that I bought from Tom. I'm a huge fan of his work and I believe he's one of those builders that really puts together everything you'd want in a guitar into a total package. They are always incredible sounding instruments but they also look and play great too and the tone and responsiveness of his guitars is on par with the best Somogyi, Olson, Traugott, Kim Walker guitars I've played.

The first Mod D I bought from Tom was a very expensive and beautiful Brazilian Rosewood Swiss spruce Signature model, in fact it was the first Modified Dreadnought he had built. I've been able to compare with several instruments costing twice the money from a lot of different Somogyi Apprentices and its held its own very very well!! Several people I know that played that guitar went on to order one for themselves.

This time I wanted to keep things a bit more simple and order a guitar I wasn't afraid to play out and use heavily. I ordered kind of a base Standard model (if is there is such a thing from Tom?). I ordered it in Kevin Ryan's favorite wood combination of Western Red Cedar and Indian rosewood. I also ordered it with a bevel and cutaway and with a K&K Pure Mini pickup system.

Tom started building it last week and sent me some photos. I'm going to work towards posing them on this thread soon here.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23