View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The benefit of this thing is that it's "point and shoot". Simple, avoids the kinds of issues varmonter is facing, and works easily with a whole bunch of people who may not have the gear to do something sophisticated. The downside is that it does what it does. So you can't pre-record and import (as far as I know).

What I did was use an Apogee Duet interface for audio, and I think the results were fine. I also tried it with a cheap USB mic, which was also fine. I think you'd get away with just using the camera mics for some things, as long as you didn't expect studio quality. I suppose if you have some way to add effects, EQ up front and pipe that into the phone as a USB connnection, that would work.

They do have a simple mixer, so after you've recorded everything, you can adjust levels, pan, EQ, and add reverb.

You can also save the final video, so there's always the option of opening that in a video editor to tweak overall color, and could also edit the audio if you have the right tools. For example, Logic lets me open a movie and extract the audio, so I could EQ, add effects, and then save the result back into the movie. In the simple case of just two us, we could even pan each of us hard left and right in the app, export, load into Logic, and I could separately edit and tweak each audio track, then save a mix.

But all this sort of defeats the reason I suggested this app to varmonter in the first place - he was having trouble making things work with the more complex/flexible way, and this app just wraps it all up nicely into a point and shoot approach that works pretty good, leaving you to just worry about playing.

Speaking of which, what I sent varmonter is pretty basic, just a little fingerpicking accompaniment - so it'll be up to him to make it into something listenable!

That makes sense Doug - I don’t have a USB mic so would be reliant on the phone for Audio which I don’t think sounds great.

Might give it a go as I would like to send a track to a mate to add some dobro to..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig