View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Aloha,

Given how good (and highly rated) the preamps and A/D converters are inside the Quartet, I'm wondering just how much 'better' you could get with a dedicated tube pre. I realize that better is dependent upon the listener and that a balance is also struck between the quality of mics and the room treatment. It's something I think about from time to time and I'm actively looking at a dedicated bass pre/DI at the moment (and I have a dedicated acoustic pre/DI) primarily for easier EQ on input more than anything else.

So, for instance, in my case, the 'nicest' mics I have are an AKG C214 (LDC) and an AT4041 (SDC) and they both go directly into the Quartet in a reasonably decently treated room. So, given that they are not low end, nor high end, mics, how much different might it be to run those through, let's say an Avalon M5? Or an A-Design box... or even something like an Avalon 2022?

I'm genuinely curious as to the cost/equip gains and benefits.

Cheers.
Hello Martin,
Not to usurp alohachris' response to your question but I feel compelled to say that I do not think the Quartet's onboard preamps are anything less than stellar. I'm not looking at mic preamps because I think they will sound "better" but rather, "different" and therefore provide me with more colours to choose from when I record myself or others.