View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Last week I adjusted the rod on an inexpensive Fender acoustic. I tried several sets of both imperial and metric, none of which seemed to fit as snuggly as I would have expected. Eventually used an imperial size that was the best fit. Turned out that the end of the nut's socket was probably flared slightly so that when the key was fully inserted, it was sufficiently snug.

Some inexpensive Allen keys are not accurately sized or have burrs on their ends that prevent them from fitting into the intended size of socket.

Sorry for the incorrect assumption regarding metric vs. imperial. But, that's a common one. Especially for me.
No apology needed. I began reading your article last night (there's a lot to digest there!) and I can imagine how many times you've answered that question!

It may be moot because my neck may have the proper relief after all. Looking at the specs called for by Yamaha, I can see the neck is not supposed to be perfectly flat. I'm getting some feeler gauges on Saturday so I can check it out.

I have a nice set of Bondhus Allens, but I was using my Husky wrenches because that set has both SAE and metric in one holder so it was faster. I will try the 5mm in my Bondhus set next time IF I find the rod needs adjusting.

If my action is too high, I'm probably just going to take it to a shop because I don't have the tools or experience to adjust the nut slots.

Thanks for writing that article and for your replies!
Monoprice "California Classic" strat copy