View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I made a single recording using three different mic pair and preamp combinations. Instead of a thread about which is which, I thought a discussion about the sound character (or lack thereof) would be interesting.

The three samples are here (you'll have to download them):

Recording Samples

What is identical in all samples:

Room, player, song, guitar, take, converters, microphone positions (AB spaced pair - 24" out 46" apart), DAW, mixing (25% L/R pan, 60Hz high pass filter, dither to 16 bit, nothing else).

What is different between the samples:

Sample A: Pair Schoeps CMC641 mics, Pendulum Audio MDP-1a preamp

Sample B: Pair Microtech Gefell M295 mics, DBX 786 preamp

Sample C: Pair Josephson 606A/KA22 mics, ADK AP2 preamp (API 2520 op amp, Jensen input transformer)
Steve, thanks so much for sharing your clips. Love your playing and your overall sound. You've certainly provided us with the opportunity to listen to three Cadillac (Mercedes?) recording chains.

I'm such a pain, I know, but it would be huge kick to hear these three alongside a pair of Behringer C2s into an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. You wouldn't happen to have anything like that laying around, would you <grin>?

As it is, we've got a pair of supercardioids (well, actually in between super and hyper cardioid), and two pairs of cardioids.

The MK41 low frequency rolloff starts pretty high, and is 3 dB down at 50 hz. I didn't stumble over an FR graph for the Gefell, the description talks about an LF rolloff
Quote:
in the Iower frequency band it features a slight roll-off to counteract the bass lift of dose speech (proximity effect). The microphone is thus ideally suited for recordings in close proximity to the sound source.
but to my ear it has a bit more bass emphasis than the MK41 at this distance. Both sound quite similar up top, but I'm able to pick up a bit more sparkle with the MK41 when I ABX between the MK41 and the 295.

The presentation of the Josephson is quite different, the bass seems to be rolled off substantially and the treble seems lifted as well.

I'm on the road and listening through some Sennheiser PX 100s, a long way from high accuracy phones, I'm afraid, but it's what I've got.

So thanks for sharing, Steve. I hope we get to hear a lot more of your playing.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog