View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 08:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I've been a member of our local makerspace for the better part of a year now. I didn't even know about it until a friend asked me to help him out with a guitarmaking woodshop class he was teaching for a local charter school. The first year students made cigar-box guitars, and the second year students made small acoustics.

It's such a fantastic opportunity. I've been able to work with our laser, have full access to a machine shop, a woodshop with a 36" bandsaw, robotics (if I were interested), glassblowing, even weaving. My wife took the pottery class and got started on something she's been interested in learning for years.
That's great! I have visited more established workspaces than ours and think they are wonderful. The comradory and cross pollination of ideas is fabulous. When I was getting a tour of one in Nashua I saw they had cameras on some of the work stations and I asked if they had theft issues. I was answered "No, not at all. In fact it's just the opposite. People are typically bringing in things like a new belt to replace one they noticed is worn."
They keep the camera views live on their member website so members can check to see if anyone is on the machine before they come in.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright