View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
Talking with Jason more, he was saying his main goal with the 00 was to create a small body guitar that didn't play or sound like one.
I hear this over and over again when a luthier offers up a small guitar. Why not just build a bigger guitar? I've played loads and loads of small body guitars that sound like...small guitars. There's just no getting away from the physics of soundboard area and box volume etc - small guitars don't move air.

Of course, what small guitars can do really spectacularly well is stellar trebles - some of the best trebles I've ever heard were from a Ralph Bown 0 parlour - it was microscopic but it had no bass, and indeed why would it.

It's all about what you lose on the swings versus what you gain on the roundabouts. Eric, you have an MD and have also played Jason's OO and OM, one of the few people to have played all three. What do you think you're getting from the 00 that you're not getting from the OM? There's no doubt that if you want to maximise the contrast between your guitars, you get the 00 since it's further from the MD than the OM.

Or are you getting all three !

Cheers,
Steve