Thread: Losing Bodyfat
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Not all yogurt is processed the same way.
Whole milk Greek Yogurt with nothing added is extremely beneficial , high in nutrients, digestive aids and very high in protein. Many nutritionists have changed their tune on the need for low fat yogurt.
Plant-based diets are very healthy, but you can’t build the kind of muscle I want on them...at least not practically.
Milk products such as whole milk, plain Greek yogurt, whole milk cottage cheese and protein powder supplements are important contributors to my higher protein needs. It’s my life choice for nutrition and it works for me. No, I’m not a purist and don’t wish to be.
I am 71 and pretty muscular... working on the bodyfat reduction... no brag just fact. Most people guess me to be mid to late fifties.
No worries, if you want to eat yogurt, go for it! All I'm saying is that for anyone trying to lose fat and be healthy, what I said above works all day long and it's WAY less complicated than current diet trends make it seem like it needs to be. And what I described above is not a plant-based diet, it's closer to a true mediterranean diet.

I get that this thread is about reducing fat in bodybuilding, and most bodybuilders and seniors don't buy into simple diets as I describe. The reality, however, is that there are any number of top-level bodybuilders who eat a plant based diet and are huge. The "protein" thing in the current zeitgeist is massively overblown, people just don't need as much as they think, and they get way more than they realize.

Folks in the senior age bracket do need more protein. Culturally, they also seem to have a particular aversion to any perceived "reduction" in protein (eating less meat). But the reality is that one can get easily enough protein from diets which include little or no meat for both athletic and bodybuilding results, let alone for general health. And they're unequivocally healthier in the long term.

All that said, I realize I will convince no one, and please continue with your discussion, my comments were less directed at you than others who might read this thread.