Thread: Pickup Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 05:49 AM

Default Pickup Advice

Do you have onboard amplification connected to the knobs or are they passive? Ie is the tone knob similar to an electric guitar tone control in that it rolls off treble? Does the guitar require a battery? How are you amplifying, acoustic amp, powered speaker or direct to a mixer and PA?

I suspect the system is passive as you say the signal is weak, in which case you have two basic options if you want to retain the onboard knobs, depending on what you are using as amplification:

1. Invest in a good active (battery or phantom powered) direct box. This is a good option if you are connecting directly to a mixer and PA. By balancing and optimising the impedance of the signal it makes it much easier to gain up and eq at the mixing desk. Active is recommended as a passive direct box will give a good signal to a mixing desk at the expense of the line out to your own amplifier if using one.

2. Invest in a good floor- or even rackmount preamp. I have a 12-string with a passive Baggs iBeam pickup which is fairly useless without my Tonebone Pz-pre floor preamp. The signal is too weak and thin sounding on its own - itís no K&K Pure Mini! With the preamp I have control over signal level to a mixer, powered speaker or amplifier, plus it has built in direct out so sound engineers are happy.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden