View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrebel View Post
I'm considering getting a 2004 Taylor 312ce as my "couch" guitar.
I contacted Taylor and they said the 312ce from 2004 would be African mahogany and the standard 25.5 inch scale.

Does anybody have hands (and ears) on experience between this guitar and the short scale ones with sapele back and sides?

Thanks so much.
Chuck
I used to have a 412 or 312 from that era, long gone now. The spruce/mahogany 412 was my first "nice" guitar. The guy at the shop put guitar after guitar in my hands for about an hour and the Taylor GC is what appealed to me the most.

I had it long enough to need a partial refret and I remember marveling at how it opened up without me really noticing, but one day I recall hitting the strings and feeling the entire body resonate and overtones I hadn't focused on before.

Given that you're used to Dreds and OOOs this will be a pleasant change in size. It's definitely a noodle on the couch watching tv type of guitar. Do it all the time.

Can't answer as to comparing with a shorter scale, I had the standard then.

If I could add, you might consider a 12 fret Grand Concert. It'll give you a bit more bass and midrange than the 14 fret. You might miss that dropping down from a larger dreadnaught.