Thread: Must admit
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

I remember the first time I saw an X20 (pre-woody) and thinking 'Eww'. But then the design started to grow on me. Finally I bought a used X20 in cobalt blue. It was different and neat but I didn't like the long scale or the neck shape and the color in person was a little disappointing.

Then I saw a cocobolo woody with amber back and sides glamour shot. Whoa! Gorgeous!! But still, that scale and neck carve. Then I started to hear that Emerald would do customs. Before I knew it I had ordered a custom X20 in cocobolo with amber back and sides, short scale and custom neck carve.

That was the first of many custom Emeralds that would come into my life. Great guitars, quality craftsmanship, great looking, great sounding and bullet proof from the environment.

One word of caution though: The darker wood veneers that you see in the glamour shots (as well as the colors) will look MUCH darker in person under normal ambient light. I remember being disappointed when I saw my cocobolo custom for the first time. Those glamour shots from Emerald are professionally photographed with photography lights and so the wood veneers pop much more than in person.

I've owned both cocobolo and ziricote guitars with beautiful wood grains with sapwood centers and unless viewed in flash photography or direct sunlight or stage lights the tops were very dark. Something to consider when visualizing how a woody veneer would look in person. The Royal ebony is a lighter color and popped very well in any light.