View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
I will also add this to my thoughts above;

My 3 guitars combined are worth about 2x what my car is worth. Some people would consider that nuts for someone for whom guitar is only a hobby.

Every time a jam with a certain friend of mine, who is miles better than me, I'm painfully aware of how poor a guitarist and musician I am by comparison. Every now and then he grins at me playing badly on my $4k hummingbird and says "you can't put it down to anything except user error with that"

But I play and enjoy my guitars most days. I drive about twice a month for leisure like taking my young kids to the zoo. I do maybe 2000 miles a year.

At the end of the day, you have however much spare money you have to spend and how you choose to allocate it is really no-ones business than yours (and your wifes, obviously)

I don't personally see any value in having an expensive car, but I do see 'value' in having expensive guitars.

And at least my guitars are not full of mud, candy wrappers and rotting apple cores...
I could have written this exact post (except for the wife and kids part - )
I own and enjoy several guitars way above my play grade. I play mostly in my living room but feel the imposter complex most when I perform. It is like the imposter complex trifecta - guitar player/singer/songwriter.

Best,
Jayne