Thread: Lava Me Review
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slibbinas View Post
I saw doubts that Lava is not made of carbon fibre. No doubt, it is made from CF for shure.
Carbon fibre is know to be condctive to electricity. I took multimeter and measured the resistance from inside of the quitar andI got 200oM resistance when probes were in 1cm distance from each other. I did not measure from outside because outer paint is not CF I suppose

Traditional carbon fibre has a lot lower resistance, but do not forget that Lava is made of composite that specifications can vary from traditional layered CF. For example 3D printer filaments with CF (~20%) are not conductive at all. So Lava is definitely made of CF composite or close to 100% CF.

BTW. Anyone knows how to change the LiOn battery in Freeboost version? It may be needed in a year or two when the battery gets old. It is good to know in advance.
There is a video out there somewhere that Lava Me produced which showed a portion of their production process. They clearly use pellets which are melted and quickly form the guitar by some liquid injection process using a mold.

Since it is referred to as carbon fiber, I assume the pellets contain carbon fiber particles or shreds or there is some other form of carbon in the raw pellets.

But Lava Me is definitely not made from CF as we have known it to be used by builders like CA, Emerald, Rainsong, formerly Blackbird, and several others. They use CF cloth as the carbon foundation, not melted pellets.

I once asked that question long ago but there were no answers as to what type of pellets they use as shown in their video, what the strength and acoustic properties were, and how those properties compared with CF fabric.

But even if it is not equal in all respects to CF fabric, if the results are increased strength, freedom from moisture, and good acoustic properties, it really doesn't matter at all. In fact, it might be a preview of where composite instruments will evolve to reach a market with players who will never put out the cash for the more expensive composite guitars that exist.

I would think the Lave Me process using pellets would produce an acceptable product with much less expense and a reasonable profit margin even with a lower retail price. Cheaper materials + hand labor reduced to a minimum + reduced build to shipping time, will be attractive

However, the trade off is that custom options would appear to be few or none. What they produce will have to have a universal appeal for players not too concerned about the many details as discussed daily on AGF.

If it's an overall good guitar with decent sound and physical properties, hopefully there is good market for this. If so, if they grow, maybe they will be able to expand the product line in ways to attract even more players.....nylon string.....nut width, etc.

I think the built in sound effects system is an attractive move also---plus, it's invisible. Nice.