View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 08:30 AM

The vote is still out here, but I have found I use it differently in different settings. I was in a small acoustic group yesterday fighting to be heard whenever I was fingerpicking, but it melded well when strumming. I had the X20 with me and found I preferred the Kestrel in that situation for strumming because the X20 came across as more mushy. Something else might have worked even better, but you use what is handy.

I desperately want to try it as a solo instrument with a decent amp on a stage or in a small jazz combo, but haven't had a chance and my jazz chops are pretty weak. Might get there sometime. On another note, it worked fine cutting through a couple of horns the other day acoustic only, but I didn't dare try fingerpicking.

I'm trying to round up a third (unknown maybe electric maybe acoustic) guitar to ABC it against an X20 and another guitar. Might just do a blind acoustic AB instead and post the recordings somewhere. My plan is hard strumming, light strumming and one or more simple finger picking trials. I'll try to make the environment as identical as possible then randomize the trials so any listener doesn't know on each event which guitar is being played except by listening for the differences.

Let me know if you have any preferences for types of trials. Whatever happens it will be an extremely simple setup.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?