View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleBluesMan View Post
The power goes out here a lot during summer thunderstorms. Most stores can't process cc without power. Also, ATMs don't work when the power is out.
Few POS systems have the battery backup to keep going in a power outage. Especially in a grocery store or gas station also selling groceries. This is as simple as how much power the lane's displays, printer, scale and in some cases belt use.

Even small merchants use modern distributors so the choice to make a transition is very likely no in a power outage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I find that a person paying with cash is rarely ever faster than using a card. Between fumbling with the money and making change, it takes longer almost every time.

I use a card nearly exclusively for the points and a layer of security as well. I particularly love places with Android pay because I pay with my watch and it takes two seconds.
A merchant in the US fully compliant is at the mercy of smart protocols when that PIN pad is working. One of the cards I use often is more prone to not get an authorization than another. A merchant can also take on risk themselves and approve a transaction faster.

The contactless payment systems mentioned are superior. Apple Pay that has been mentioned doesn't give the merchant your credit card number as a good example.

When a web site accepts Apple Pay you give the merchant minimal information to complete the transaction, your wrist watch or phone authorizes it, and it's a best way. If your Apple Pay is tied to a particular MasterCard # consider a criminal someplace else could have that in a breach. Your phone or wrist watch authorizing the transaction is a layer of security.

I'm convinced my change to cash for some sales and making all sales possible with Apple Pay and a specific card have cut what seemed like regular stollen number issues. For about 3 years I've only used one of my regular cards when I do international travel and less than ideal travel in the US. That card and not the one I try to use most often is the only one that's been stollen in recent times. I'm sure that is because of the transactions where there was no EMV in use. I do believe I've proved to self that Apple Pay is best when you can do it.

I'm also convinced that few merchants and their vendors are following the rules and as secure as they should be. I'm a year into new responsibilities in a group of stores. The vendors, managers and customers all remind me of the stats class when the lecturer said "Today you'll learn being average doesn't mean 1/2 way smart.".

I don't like it when people put down cashiers and make some assumptions for particular generations. In a way I'm over hundreds of them. They're as young as 16 and as old as 81. They have a demanding job that doesn't pay particularly well. Ours all have a camera that watches them and the customer. BI in the system can show a good cashier or a bad one. Being a millennial doesn't have anything to do with their being good or not. The most shameful in what we can see is often the behavior of my baby boomer group and generation behind me.