View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 06:20 AM

Default Where to start? Should I start?

Lately I've been thinking about trying my hand at nylon sting guitars. I've never much liked nylon strings. I've played guitar for 50 years, and the last time I played a nylon-string for more than 20 seconds would be 49 years ago. But all things change. I've been watching a few people on You-tube make nice sounds on nylons. A couple of years ago I threw away my picks and switched to fingers (mixture of flesh and nails), which makes a difference. And now I'm thinking about adding a nylon strung guitar to my little collection.

So what do I do about playing nylon string guitars?
  • (a) Nothing. It's just another form of GAS. The urge will pass.
  • (b) Borrow one from a friend.
  • (c) Buy a cheap one. See how I go. Move on up to something nice if and when the desire is there.
  • (d) Buy a nice one. Try it out. If it doesn't work out, sell it. Lose some money.

(a) Makes sense.

(b) is a non-starter. I don't know anyone who owns a nylon-strung guitar!

(c) Two reasons not to buy a cheap one. First, all my other guitars are good ones. If the nylon one is not somewhere up near the standard of the steelies, I won't play it. Second, I'm not buying anything made in China. I'll stick to places with decent labour practices and verifiable, legal timber sourcing. (Canada, Europe, Japan, Australia, USA, maybe a few other places.)

(d) is the only other sensible possibility besides the do-nothing one. I could buy something nice.

If I do buy one, it will probably be new. Yes, second-hand would make sense, but there are only two second-hand guitar shops this side of Melbourne, 800 kilometres to the north. One of the local second-hand guitar shops seldom has anything in nylon-string, the other has nice stuff but is quite expensive and ... how do I put this ... I don't really want to buy anything there that I can't make my own quality and value assessment of. I can make my own judgements about a Guild or a Gibson or a Maton or a Martin but I don't know enough about nylon-strung guitars to confidently buy second-hand from that place.

So I could end up buying a new one. Possibilities I have discovered so far are Esteve (Spain), the Godin Group (Canada) and probably some Japanese makers (excluding Yamaha because MIJ Yamahas are very expensive and I don't want a Chinese one). Doubtless there are others. I'll probably end up driving to Melbourne to buy as the local shops - good as they are for Maton, Cole Clark, Taylor, Martin, Guild, and Gibson - only have Chinese nylon guitars.

Should a steel-string player look at crossover nylons? Or is it better to go full-on classical? I'm fine with a wider nut (up to 50mm - my 12-string is 50mm after all) but not sure how I'd go with the traditional high classical guitar action.

Sorry for so many questions. I'm just thinking aloud really.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.