View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
The phase should be miniscule unless you've got really big distances involved, i.e., how far the guitar mic is from your mouth vs. the vocal mic, are in inches, so I'd be more inclined to think any comb-filtering you are hearing is more likely due to room reflections. Check your treatment, or be careful with FX on the individual tracks. (Yeah, I don't think you'll get satisfactory results trying to Melodyne the vocal track when tracking both together, unless you've really got the ribbons perfect, perhaps, and then maybe standing up to increase the distances.)

You might try doing that first tracking as just a scratch, then go back and do them separately, with the scratch in your monitors. You might be able to keep the feel that way, but then end up with independent tracks that are more malleable. It's what I do when I'm going to be adding more folks in. Sometimes the scratch stays, but a lot of time, it can be replaced by something better when the focus is just on the guitar or vocal.

Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely food for thought. As I mentioned to key wind I get very little guitar on the vocal track but the guitar mic picks up a little more voice. But it is impressive how much separation you can get. I'll experiment more with the guitar mic as well as your other suggestions
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat