View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

I definitely think that three sources is overkill for you since by your own admission it's just for you playing to yourself. That said, it's always fun to play around with this type of thing but beware it can be deep hole of time and money you're wading into!

Since you say you like magnetic pickups and want to go with passive I recommend the K&K Double Helix Solo combined with a K&K Pure Mini. They are made to work together and it will be much easier to mix two signals than three. Plus the DHS gives you a nice tone switch on the mag pup that is excellent for switching between strumming and fingerstyle.

I was looking for a passive mag sound hole pup for my Martin D-1 custom dread and tried several including the Baggs M80, Schertler AG6 with S-Mic, and Dimarzio Black Angel before trying the Double Helix Solo and the DHS won hands down. I have not gone the route of adding the K&K Pure mini since for live playing/gigging I already use Cole Clark guitars which have built-in three way systems that are excellent for amplified playing.

Here's a nice demo from K&K for their Double Helix Solo and Pure Mini combo: