View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 06:33 PM

Default NGD- Balazs Prohaszka SJ- Cedar/Exotic Madagascar RW (Lowden-y Style)

So I just got this guitar today and I’m so stoked. I have had my eye on this guitar for 8 years!

Balazs was trained under Lowden and worked for Lowden, Avalon and Zemaitis. His guitars clearly have the Lowden influence. He does just custom stuff now, as far as I know. About 7 guitars a year.

I played his guitars at GuitarGal back in 2010. Fell in love. I played this very guitar back then. I’ve followed his stuff since then, but they are rare birds and I’ve only ever seen about 4 of them for sale. I have watched this guitar since then. It went from GuitarGal to another dealer in NY. I got an email last week from the owner of this guitar and he asked if I wanted to buy it. The price was right and I did. It was still technically new old stock.

I was able to purchase one of the very guitars that I played back in 2010 that made me love them.

The specs:

Top- Alaskan Western Red Cedar
Back/Sides- Madagascar Rosewood
Headstock- Some unknown Australian timber
Bridge- Brazilian Rosewood
Rosette- Brazilian Rosewood/Flamed Maple
Binding- Madagascar Rosewood/Flamed Maple
Neck- Brazilian Mahogany

The sound is very Lowden like. Big. Lush. Full. Rich. It has that “British” acoustic sound. I owned a Lowden F32 and this is a good bit louder, but the body is also a bit bigger.