Thread: MicQuest 2015
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The two most important things to do when comparing audio chains are to use the same source and match the levels precisely. Normalization is not a useful technique for level matching since it works on peaks and we hear RMS (average). To my ear the obvious difference between your two samples is a level change.

I think you'll do yourself a big favor if you can get past the idea that there is some sort of magic available by buying a particular mic. If the self noise is low and the pattern matches your needs you've got the right mic. If you were recording jet engines or bats or whale songs there might be a need to obsess over getting "the right mic" but for acoustic guitar and voice in a decent sounding room any decent mic placed in the correct location gets the job done.

This opinion is based on a dozen years and multiple thousands of dollars spent in the vain hope of finding magic in a gadget.

Fran
Hmmm. Ok Fran, well after reading this I'm more determined than ever to keep on buying snazzy new mics just to see if you are correct with this hypothesis. I'll get back to you in five years or so......

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment