View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Just to contribute the thoughts of another....

A few years ago, I purchased a Benedetto Frank Vignola Standard signature guitar from an optometrist in Ohio. He was a very interesting gentleman, and I wish we had had more time to converse. He seemed to have quite the collection. He had also owned a Benedetto Frank Vignola Deluxe (similar to the one that I bought, but with maple/German combo). He also owned the Benedetto Satin Doll (do a search if interested, it is currently for sale), a gorgeous parlor sized Golden Period instrument built by Bob himself. He also owned a Monteleone, among many others that I can't remember. He said unequivocally, his favorite archtop that he had ever played was his Steve Grimes guitar. I've never played a Grimes or even seen one in person, but after hearing that I will go out of my way to try one if I ever have the chance.

Very interesting indeed!
That's very interesting. Did the optometrist say which Grimes model he owned?

Looking at the Grimes website, it seems that his most expensive guitar is still less than half the price of the most expensive Benedetto archtop. Any ideas why the Benedetto is so expensive?

Last edited by kkfan; 12-01-2014 at 01:15 AM.