View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post

I understand what you're getting at, but I disagree. I doubt there was ever a successful classical musician who didn't have that ability. (In fact, it's often how they get the job!) So rather I think an orchestra is a situation where musicians subsume a whole bunch of their individual expressive capabilities (but not all of them) in service of something bigger.

But that doesn't mean they lack the ability, even in a highly-restricted context.
I don't think you do understand what I was trying to get at here. I never said that classical musicians DON'T have the ability or somehow lack the ability of artistic expression. My point is that THE ability itself, is not required for someone to be "A" musician. I agree it is needed to be a GOOD musician, and in a previous post I even stipulated that I believe it is "essential" to be a good performer and soloist. However, the idea that one cannot be characterized as a musician because one lacks the skill to express emotion or feeling within music is simply a put down to anyone learning to play music on an instrument.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

Last edited by Bob1131; 05-18-2012 at 11:19 AM.