View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Breedlove absolutely does NOT set them up that way... per the norm, the guy at GC has his head... "somewhere" else!

String height can be adjusted by a decent tech; getting a setup on a new guitar is also quite normal, as you want it to play the way YOU want it, not have to adjust to it... Guitar Center is NOT noted for having good technicians; get it done by someone qualified. If you don't know one in your area, ask any "serious" guitar playing friend
and they'll tell you, or tell us where in the country you're located and someone here will likely know a good tech in your area.

I quite like the myrtle wood guitars; most I've played have been Breedloves. Which model are you considering? They have an Oregon Series line that has everything from dreadnoughts to parlors, and all are available in an all-myrtle wood configuration (back/sides and top) as well as with spruce tops. I think the spruce tops are more versatile for a lot of different styles of music, personally.

Breedlove is a great choice, by the way... they're the "under the radar" brand now; nearly half as much as a comparable Taylor or Martin, and very well-made instruments. The company has stellar customer service, too, should any problems arise.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up getting... and DON'T trust those idots at Guitar Center... (a sweeping generalization, I know, but true for 80%...)

Thank you!
This one is Parlor style, all sides are Myrtlewood. Beautiful binding and abalone. No electronics, but I don't plan to play on stage so that isn't a huge issue for me.

There was another one next to it that's a darker wood and it played better. The strings were adjusted fairly well for me.

I'll find a good tech. I do know a few players around here. (Eugene, Oregon area.)
I've been to GC a few times to look at the guitars and the only way I have ever gotten help is to go and FIND a flunkie and ask them to come and help me. They never even acknowledge me when I walk in.
If it wasn't for THIS particular guitar, I wouldn't even consider buying from them. I just haven't seen it anywhere else.

When I get it, I'll post a photo