View Single Post
Old 04-05-2024, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
I’m in NJ about 30 miles from where the quake is said to have originated. House shook for a bit, just felt like a big truck went by. Not a big deal at all. Don’t know what all the fuss is all about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
One thing to consider is in the east, where the bedrock is more intact with fewer faults and cracks energy propagates far more efficiently than it does in the west where the more frequent events have created faults and cracks in the bed rock. A 4.8 on the Richter scale in NJ is a much larger event than a 4.8 on the West Coast. The energy will travel farther and more efficiently...
I'm in S.I., on the other side of Arthur Kill from NJ and about 40 miles or so from the Lebanon epicenter...

I live on a two-way street connecting two main roads that's used at all times of the day/night as a short cut by heavy-duty trucks, as well as express buses, school buses, and one loony in a Dodge Charger Hellcat who likes to take all 797 of his ponies for a full-throttle ride a couple times a day, accompanied by the dulcet tones of his 5000-watt sound system...

I've been on the starting line at E-Town when two guys named Force and Pedregon had themselves a 20,000 HP, 300+ MPH throwdown...

We moved into the Brooklyn housing project where I lived as a kid while it was still under construction: every morning I would watch/hear/feel the heavy machinery from my kitchen window, working on the adjacent building...

My workplace back in the early-80's was located along the flightpath of the Concorde SST - I would pull into the company lot as it was either departing from or landing at JFK...

This was a different story entirely, like nothing I've ever experienced before: my wife's cousins in Brooklyn and South Jersey, and one of their mutual friends in central PA - all between 70-90 miles from the epicenter - experienced significant shaking, and as I'm writing this we just had an aftershock...

- and here I thought it was the chili I had for dinner last night...