Thread: Major or Minor?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
When a song uses major and minor chords what makes either a major or a minor key?
I've kept out of this to see how others respond.

The trouble with understanding chord progressions and such is that there is usually Too Much Information.
To answer this question simplistically :

What we are talking about is called "chord progressions" in songs.

Songs can have only one chord (boring) 2 chords , simple, three chords (very very common in blues, country folk) and 4 , 5 or six chords (more chords more melodic)
You can even have seven chord progressions but that involves the 7th chord (a "half diminished" which is the red haired stepchild of the family (apols to any redheads here)

You If you start a piece/song whatever with a Major Chord, then you will also have the "option" to use minor chords as well.

Say start with a C chord - then most songs will be in C (I), F (IV) and G (V) with that you canplay almost every blues, country etc.

To give it more melody as can add a 6 (vi) chord which would be an A minor , or an Eminor (ii) or even a Dm (ii)

This is because every note in the scale can also be the root of the chords that will with the root/key of C :

C, D,E,F,G,A,B,and C (or) I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, and vii (dim)

I'll stop there before this simplified explanation becomes too complicated.

It would be nice if you responded to tell us if you found any of this helpful, and whose answer helped most, if any. d