View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
my initial post was really just about solo fingerstyle, but your point about playing it safe still applies.
Sorry about that. What software are you using to record? I am currently working on a finger style piece of about 3 and half minutes and recording it for a DVD menu. My plan, because I want the time to be free, is to record it in one pass. And therefore, I'm just woodshedding it because without a tempo and thus a grid, it would be difficult to record it in chances and edit together the final.

However if the track is record enabled then you'll be able to hear yourself and punch in at any desired point whether the track was recorded to a grid or not. But as to the question of any shame in punching in or doing fixes... I don't think so. The goal is a beautiful piece of music. Eventually you'll have to get it down if you are going to perform it live. Sometimes the recording process can be as artful as the writing process and you may end up with a slightly different and better piece because of edits.

That being said, I think we can both agree that copy and pasting in that context would most heinous. Hah. You wouldn't want to do that for a finger style piece. Unless it was a bed for for video and you were going to add other elements as it goes.

Sorry, if I got a little off point in my earlier post.

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)