View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM

Default UPDATE- One Month In

I've had my Martin Custom D-18 for over a month now, and as I was playing it a bit today, I wanted to post an update as to how I feel about it now.

My initial impressions still hold true: this guitar does pretty much everything I'm able to throw at it well. It sounds great strummed, and yet it can be fingerpicked with great ease (even with the relatively tight 2 3/16 saddle spacing). And the tone...oh my, the tone! Such a sweet guitar! Very warm on the lows, but the mids and highs are present and give it punch in addition to the customary Martin growl. And yes, it will growl! A first position F sounds super nice! And DADGAD...please! It's like it was made for it!

The neck on the new 18s is so easy to play, all the way up. I've really enjoyed moving around on it. Again for what I do, which is a mixture of strumming and finger style, it is absolutely ideal.

This is my first really glossy finish guitar, and while I still love the sunburst (yes, I'm one of those who actually like Martin bursts), the fingerprints kind of drive me crazy! But, that's let me to actually wipe it down when it goes in the case, so I reckon that's a good thing.

Now, on to amplification: I'm still not in love with the K&K, but it's made me come to a realization. The better a guitar sounds unplugged, the harder it is for me to get a similar sound amplified. The K&K is a great pickup, but when I go from plugged to unplugged, this guitar takes a quantum leap tone-wise. In a band setting, the K&K does wonderful, but if it was just me acoustic, I'd mic this bad boy all day long. So, I'll deal with the K&K. Maybe one day I'll dual source it with a Baggs Lyric. Who knows?

All in all, this D-18 is what I'd always hoped one would be: perfect for me. It hasn't cured GAS, because I'd still love an 00-18V, but I will be content without it, too!

And for a late Christmas shot, here's my son inspecting my Martin and my Breedlove. Startin' him young!

And here's one with the other Martin in the family: