View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I did not know this, thanks for sharing it. For those who've built one of these, how ready for assembly are the kits? If a person has basic tools (files, saws, reamers, clamps, sander, router, assorted drill bits, press) and titebond hideglue, can it be done or is there major work/specialized tools required? Anyone know how the Martin kit compares to StewMac, Saga, IV, etc.? Thanks!
They are pretty well together - pre-bent sides, top is together with rosette installed, you have to glue up the back, fretboard is slotted, neck is pretty well roughed out.

If you’re going to do more than one I’d recommend buying or making a body mold - this holds the sides while the head and tail blocks are glued in, kerfing is installed, and some other operations. Trickiest part for me has been cutting the binding ledges and the finishing process. Setting the neck dovetail is a bit of work but patience and attention to detail will get you there.

You’re going to need more clamps, no matter how many you already have.

I’ve only used the Martin kits. You can download the StewMac kit instructions from their site. I did and it was a useful reference.

There are a number of good online resources for kit building, both forums and YouTube videos.
I studied forums and written resources for a year before finally stepping in. My 2nd guitar is about to enter the finishing process and a third is waiting its turn. Maybe one more kit after that, then I’m on to scratch builds.

Last edited by Skarsaune; 11-03-2019 at 06:50 PM. Reason: More info.