View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 AM

One problem with learning from a single book can be that you quickly start to play from memory rather than from reading.

I learned to read on mandolin and fiddle and I read mostly from books of folk tunes. Over time I got hold of several. One book can have hundreds of tunes. O'Neil's book of Irish tunes has one thousand. I got most benefit when I spent 20 or 30 minutes a day reading from these tune books. I'd read each tune once through, including repeats, and then go on to the next. I'd mark in pencil where I got to at the end of each session and next day start from there. At the end of one book I'd go on to the next. There was no danger of playing by memory. Everything had to be read.

In folk tunes most notes are within the first five frets with an occasional jump to the seventh fret on the first string.

It's all monophonic, no chords or counterpoint, but it is good exercise at seeing a note on the score and finding it on guitar. What you learn by doing this will help you read standard guitar music.