View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
This was mentioned in another thread, but I'd like some opinions. Specifically who makes a better D-28 or HD-35 type of dreadnought?

By better, I mean more consistent sound from guitar to guitar, and better quality in build. I am specifically interested in spruce / EIR tonewoods. I like the sound of that combination. Cost is secondary, but given an HD-35 MAP is $3229 or thereabouts, I'd like the answers to be in the $3000-4000K range. I'm not looking to spend $6K+ on a new guitar. I'm also not looking for a dread that sounds like a Taylor. I'm looking for a dread that sounds more like what the a good Martin D-28 or D-35 sounds like. Flat picking or strumming would be the main style of play.

And, yes, I know I can just buy a Martin. Just wanting to open up my options for consideration.
What is "Better" is a very subjective experience and people have their tastes and preferences. So if you really prefer the Martin Tone you will by default prefer the Martin Tone over Taylor for example. It doesn't mean one is inherently "better" than the other, comparisons such as these only communicate what we like and prefer.