View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 02:26 PM

Default My action is getting higher, is there a quick fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It's important to understand that the truss rod has one job and one job only and that is to set the desired relief in the neck. It is not used to set the action of the guitar or to adjust the neck angle. Having said that, adjusting the truss rod to fix too much or too little relief does often have an effect on the action particularly if your relief is not set properly. So check the relief first.

To do that hold the E-String at the first fret, or capo it, and also fret the 14th fret. Look for airspace under the 7th fret. There should be about enough to slide a thin pick under there. That's the forward bow of the neck or relief.

If it is more then that then turn the truss rod wrench to the right about 1/2 a turn and measure again. In setting the relief properly you will also, in this case, lower the action at the 12th fret. Sometimes that's all it takes if you are lucky but usually there is more to it.

If the relief is set up perfectly as is then you need to go forward with other setup options.

Well here it is, 1st is capoed and I’m fretting the 14th. I can just slip the pick in there between fret and low e, and the .73 med pick touches both string and fret. The 7th fret is the one with the pick resting on top.