View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Actually, I do not believe the x12 guitars of that era had 'bolt-on' necks; I have a '95 (or '96...I forget offhand) 412k and it is certainly not.
To my knowledge Max, *ALL* Taylor guitars have always had bolt-on necks - they have never used a dovetail neck in production (perhaps a prototype here or there). The finger boards were glued on for pre-NT necks, but the neck joint itself is bolted and the bolts are covered by a paper label on the neck block. Bob Taylor reportedly got his start in building by sawing dovetail necks that needed a reset and doing other repairs. It may be possible to find a dovetail neck going back to the early 70's and the American Dream shop where Bob and Kurt got their start, prior to Taylor as a company.

The original x12 Grand Concert guitars were shallower and 1-3/4" nut width. They were targeted at finger style with design influences from players like Chris Proctor. They also had one-piece carved mahogany necks. The conversion to three-piece necks was intended to save wood -- they can get three necks instead of one from a single 3" x 4" billet -- but probably also cut down on whiplash injuries.