View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 03:20 PM

Piper, I’ve played quite a few all-walnut instruments, not only guitars but also mountain dulcimers. I’m originally from Missouri, mountain dulcimer was my first instrument, and in Missouri all-walnut dulcimers are by far and away the most common type that you’ll find there.

As a general rule of thumb any hardwood top will be quieter than a spruce or cedar top on a comparable instrument. The tone will generally be simpler with fewer overtones and less sustain. This can be musically advantageous in a number of different playing styles, especially fingerpicking styles where you have two or more lines going at the same time. There can be a lot of clarity with a hardwood top.

The usual downside is that there aren’t as many tone colors as you can pull out of a comparable guitar that has a spruce top. Hardwood tops generally aren’t as musically versatile, as a result.

But they can be very sweet-sounding, especially if you have a playing style that works well with a walnut top’s musical characteristics.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller