View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Default John Kinnaird 2021 NEW Model Build Thread: Lucky Strike x African Blackwood

Hope everyone is having a good Good Friday!

More pics of the Lucky Strike top, rough sanded. I love how it has so much character throughout. The grains, the dark and light lines at interplay, the silking, the dark stripe down the middle. And to think it can only get better from here. Absolutely gorgeous.

And here the sides are joined. Greybeard was officially coined by John on 19 Feb 2021. The build is a little more advanced at this point, but I’m just pacing the updates. Here you can see the sides joined on the day Greybeard was given its name.

One reason the posts are intermittent is because we took some time to look for that Crazy Quilted Maple, and to finalize a rosette design. From the earlier build I knew I always wanted a shadow mosaic rosette in a “nouveau” style, but also didn’t want to settle on a design that would be too distracting and take too much attention away from the amazing LS top. Many many ideas were being thrown around, including some ridiculous and ugly hand-drawn mock-ups by me. John might have choked on some coffee. In the end, leaving the artist to do his work was the right path. The mosaic (which was supposed to be in some Bog Oak) idea was discarded and John nudged me in this direction, which I am thankful for.

We have not decided fully on the color and materials of the borders and lines but essentially each segment will be made up of different colors from the Quilted Maple set. You get the idea.

So John got to work, and he wanted to be very careful with the treatment of the LS top, so it’s almost like 1 inlay per day.

No juice pic.

Juice pic. I got so excited I had to share! This was today. A good Good Friday indeed.

The rosette is one of my favorite parts of the guitar and I love seeing it come to life!

Last edited by Hanter; 04-02-2021 at 07:59 PM.