View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I’ve a neighbor who owns a 1926 NLS. His guitar is very loud for its diminutive size. I don’t know if you are aware but the early ones had very little taper in the side depth (~1/4”) and some were a full 5” deep. I love building those little buggers and personally favor them over the latter 29/30 and later models. Good luck and I look forward to seeing more of your build as it unfolds.
This model is about 4 1/8 at the tail and tapers down to almost 3 1/2”. I have only played one of these L-0 or L-1 models and it was in the 1929/1930 range. I would love to be lucky enough to see an earlier model, or even one of the arch tops, first hand. This guitar really encapsulates the somewhat chaotic nature of early Gibson guitars. Just this one model went thru iterations of being an arch top to a flat top, sometimes birch, some times mahogany, sometimes ALL mahogany. There’s at least two different bracing patterns. Then you throw in the Nick Lucas signature models. And to top it all off Gibson seems to have a reputation for inconsistencies in workmanship in this period. I will keep the deep body in mind for the future, I’m sure someone may be interested in a deep body parlour/0 guitar.

Thanks Cigarfan and PaulHintz for the nice words and following along!