View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 08:23 AM

Default update

Ok, so I went at it with warm water and a scotch brite pad; It is a water based glue of some kind because it is breaking down, but it is really stubborn... So i'm taking it slow to not overload it with water... It seems as though the glue, under extreme humidity swings has seeped into some of the cracks and hardened, thus retarding the cracking process. But it looks like i'll be able to get most of the glue(all but the glue that has seeped into the checking) with just water and elbow grease.

I have one more question, this thing has a lot of cracks, a lot... after about two weeks of hydrating about %75 of the cracks have disappeared... Does anyone have experience with "top coating" with nitro on top of checked finish to 'hold everything together'? Is it worth it? Should I just repair the cracks traditionally and fix the individual finish chips? Like I said, I dont really care about this guitars value, so it doesn't bother me to do something that devalues it, I just wanna make sure i'm not wasting my time.
Thanks!
P.S. Heres a pic of the before and almost after... some of the glue is removed as well as the crack closing....