View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 08:58 AM

When I jumped back into Flamenco 6 years ago, or so, I re-entered the search for a decent (nylon string) acoustic sound. I went through a very frustrating, time consuming, and expensive process trying to get the right combination - if the pickups were bad, I tried to change the preamp, EQ, and applied extensive modelers, both hardware and software to the sound.

My take on it is that tubes can color the sound (to absurdity), as can modelers or effects, but the most important aspect for plugged in acoustic sound is the pickup (and its installation in the guitar), followed by the preamp, and then the amplifier, which should be as transparent and clear as possible before jumping into tube color (or effects like reverb).

That is, tubes/effects should NOT be used to try to compensate for a unsatisfying basic sound.

My final result was to settle on Takamine (TC-132C, TH-5C) with CTP-2 preamp and palathetic pickup with Fishman SA-220 SoloAmp (LR Baggs A-Ref and SR Jam150 are fine as well). I find that I turn the tube completely off in the CTP-2, though - if I want a tube effect I use software or hardware modeler in the effects loop or DAW...

There are other solutions that may work for others, but the first goal should be to get the basic sound as absolutely pristine as possible from the guitar, pickup, and preamp - find a FLAT PA or acoustic amp, and work from there.

But do NOT use the external devices to try to correct an underwhelming sound - it is not worth the effort. (IMO, even if you don't go the Takamine route, they are a good place to start as points of comparison - but for me, I've never looked back)

YMMV, of course,

Chuck