View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 02:57 AM

I almost always "push-off" on the B and G strings istead of pulling-off. Which kind of bends the strings and isn't nearly as clear or strong as it should be, I don't think. So I usually don't play a lot of pull-offs, if I can avoid them. Never really learned how to do it right (having taught myself and rushing about it probabaly).

Things like thumb-fretting and pinky-resting - I do both, never really thought of them as bad habits, just perhaps a bit limiting for some things (which depends on the kind of music you might want to play).

About pinky-anchoring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Position. In a lot of cases, it positions your hand so you scrape the length of the string slightly instead of getting a clean pluck. Also, if you want to vary the tone by playing closer to the 12th fret; there's a point where your pinky can't rest on anything because it falls in the soundhole.
I agree about that "scape", kind of a scratchy noise (I notice it very much on my index finger). It is kind of annoying at times, and have been experimenting with different positions actually. Still resting my pinky, but trying to get a better angle to pluck the strings. Makes a big difference in tone, though it might be a little unnatural wrist position. Have to see if it slowly works out - the cleaner "pluck" is alost making me want to stop resting my pinky altogether, but that may take a very long time... seems really unnatural.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller