View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovekings View Post
After watching the proliferation of stick systems over the past couple years I am still amazed at how much manufacturers get people to " pay for convenience ". Example - two Yamaha Dbr 10's and a small mixer cost about $800 and will blow any stick system out of the water plus still only weigh little. I admit the all in one holy grail is an attractive concept and as I've gotten older I love the idea of the quick trip from the car and setup but the cost premium is crazy high. The manufacturers know all about our aging backs lol and charge accordingly. Shameless opportunism !

It’s just physics. As a sound system manufacturer, if you want more sound from less weight, you need to pull a few rabbits out of your hat. As a consumer, if you want the best sound on a budget, then you focus on the conventional systems. I think the the major shift in people’s minds today is that they realize that they really just don’t need to be that loud. People in the audience who appreciate acoustic guitar and voice don’t want to listen to it at 115 dB. So, as a performer, why not also be light and convenient? There are several stick systems in the $800 range. Some require you to use an outboard mixer, and some have a mixer onboard. That said, Bose has a very nice system, but charges an arm and a leg for it. Of course, they also overcharge for every product they make. However, they are leaders in the audio category and people begrudgingly pay those prices to get the gear.