View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 07:59 PM

Default Took a 2nd crack at a comparison

I had to go back before one of these guitars is sold so I could do another comparison. I brought a camera along but the input was just so over-modulated and distorted that it's not worth posting.

This trip confirmed my first analysis and then added a few more thoughts.
It seems that I'm not a fan of the V-bracing on the 814ceDLX (though some would like it.

What bothered me were two things: The high harmonics were too much, so the guitar sounded jangly and brighter than I prefer. I won't go as far as to say the high harmonics were out of control, but I thought on the edge. But because of excess highs I felt that the sound started to break up when I strummed too hard. It reminded me of a 714ce/cedar. I thought the regular 814ceDLX was more controlled an more refined and could be pounded harder and still hold its ground. Would different string help? Maybe. If it were my guitar I'd defintely have 13 and 17 on strings 1 and 2 to help tamp down the highs. Perhaps the Elixir HD lights if one was to stay with Elixir.

If you think about this particular model, (older 814ceDLX) what set it apart from the 814ce was the adirondack bracking in that particular bracing pattern. The V-class bracing was supposed to change everything... and it did on this model. But I'll leave it up to you whether or not it is a good change.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS